Friday, January 22, 2010

Hope for Haiti

After checking my television listings this evening hoping for something to distract myself with on a Friday night in with the dog I am left wondering why I don't remember the kind of response for New Orleans and the Katrina victims that I am seeing today for Haiti. It appears that in the aftermath of the disaster, this island has been able to muster up the phenomenal strength to get networks past their differences and unite on a fund-raising front. I don't have cable. Being bad at decisions and in the midst of the recession it seems a safer choice to "get by" with network television. So here I will sit in front of eight channels all in their telethon glory while I wonder if the people in New Orleans are back in their houses yet. I wonder if they have running water or electricity 24 hours a day. I wonder what happened to all those who had to walk away. Are they still living on someone's living room floor? Did they have to move to a shelter. I do have Hope for Haiti. And I am encouraged that this dynamic response to the earthquake there is because of all we learned during our own tragic events. But I marvel at how eager we are to help those in need that do not live domestically. I wonder why it takes a different language and an exotic background to reach in out pockets and reach out.

New Orleans Relief Organizations
www.commongroundrelief.org
Common Ground Relief is a state and federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization providing short term relief for victims of hurricane disasters in the gulf coast region, and long term support in rebuilding the communities affected in the New Orleans area

www.nomrf.org
The New Orleans Musicians Relief Fund, a 501(c)3 grass roots charity founded by displaced New Orleans musicians over four years ago, provides donated instruments (left) and most recently, free concerts and band uniforms.

www.fromthelaketotheriver.org
The Coalition seeks to bring together resources from all parts of the legal community (law school faculty, students, and practicing lawyers), as well as non-lawyers, to facilitate the fair distribution of federal, state, and private disaster relief to New Orleanians (wherever they may be) in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Hope for Haiti
www.hopeforhaiti.com